Monday, July 16, 2007

Danica's Temper-Tantrum

While watching ESPNEWS since SportsCenter has the habit of forcing me to drink by myself into the wee hours of the morning, I noticed an interesting interview with Danica Patrick. I'm not going to get into the fact that she was a bigger storyline because she failed to win yet again, the count is up to around 40 races with no career wins, but her excuses for why she lost were unparalleled.

Now I've dated before, so I know that when a woman messes up, it's always my fault. Imagine my surprise when Danica did not blame me for her problems in the post-race interview, I would have accepted that. Instead she chose to blame the lapped riders because they couldn't get out of her way quickly enough for her to win the race. She said something along the lines of "I couldn't make a move because the lappers wouldn't get out of my way," and, "If you're not fast then why even show up," or something like that. I'd find actual quotes, but that would require effort on my part. Now this is the equivalent to claiming you got mauled by a bear because your 300 pound friend wouldn't get out of your way fast enough as you were trying to run away. It's not hard to maneuver around fat/slow people, it's called move a little to one side and use the fact that God loves you more than them to your advantage.

I know Danica, it's hard for you to be a woman competing in a guy's sport, but that's why God created women's sports, which I believe just moved up to one spot behind the Special Olympics on the list of watchable sports. They've moved ahead of women's jello wrestling: heavyweight division and the all male threesome league. That's some good company there.

No comments: